Waste Reduction/Recycling Practices: Waste reduction and recycling practices center on chemicals management, tires management and day-to-day operations.
Chemical recovery/salvage program
YRC Worldwide manages a program for chemical shipments deemed unacceptable by shipper or consignee. The chemicals are recovered, repackaged and offered for sale to the public through a physical location and on the Internet. We also have comprehensive emergency-response capabilities, accessed through a 24/7 emergency hotline.
Tires are recycled for future energy sources, playground mats and chips, landscaping mulch, and road construction materials. All used tires are given to EPA-registered recycling companies.
- We are using long-life antifreeze, oils and lubricants. Long-life fluids and lubricants extend service levels and reduce waste products.
- We drain and crush oil filters, and the service centers properly dispose of the canisters.
- We buy batteries through national distributors, and old batteries are disposed of properly.
- Reusable chemical-shipment totes eliminate the need to manufacture and dispose of steel drums.
- E-commerce tools for managing shipping reduce paper consumption, save energy and improve efficiencies for all supply-chain partners.
Recycling in day-to-day operations
Recycling is a daily part of our operations. We recycle
- parts-washer fluid for continuous use.
- scrap metal after separating it from other waste.
- and reuse antifreeze.
- more than 50 percent of office copy paper.
- aluminum, steel and unusable cardboard.
- fluorescent lamps and replace them with low-wattage lamps.